PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Oval Set-Up

twigstoy
June 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I am new to dirt oval racing. I need a base set-up for a 1/8 scale buggy. (Shock oils, diff oils)
My problem so far is when coming off the corner, my buggy's tail end wants to kick out. I have 5-7-3 in the diffs right now. I am running a Mayhem. I am getting beat in the corners. Push going in, lose coming off. Any help would be appreciated.

Smokey
June 20th, 2005, 1:22 PM
PM Dirtdog he can help.

assocman
June 21st, 2005, 3:04 PM
try to put a harder spring in the left rear and right front.

Doug Carter
June 21st, 2005, 3:43 PM
If you do a search on "setup" you will find a lot of good info. There was a pretty good discussion a few months ago on dirt oval setup that explains a lot of the details of chassis tuning in simple terms.

John Binz
June 21st, 2005, 4:10 PM
1200,000 10,000 1,000 for diff oil setup. 35 shock oil. Put shims in the right rear and left front. Also if the car hasn't gotten better after that put the lowest number on the blocks on the front and rear.

twigstoy
June 21st, 2005, 5:12 PM
Do you mean 120,000 in the front? Also, please explain why so much in the front and so little in the rear. Does thicker in the front not take away your steering? I don't know, Im asking. All help is GREAT. Thanks !!!!!

Dirtdog
June 21st, 2005, 5:24 PM
An 1/8 scale buggy will plow like a tractor because it was never intended to be raced on an oval. They were designed to fly high off of jumps, tight off road corners, or blazing down a straightaway. Buggies are alot of fun. I raced one for a couple of years on the oval. I have seen guys do some pretty weird stuff to a buggy trying to get them to turn left. Our best performance came on Ofna premounted foam tires. Ofna's supplier developed a problem with their wheels and everyone went back to rubber tires. I recommend experimenting with any and all ideas you can come up with. We did. We learned that TQ8 foam tire traction compound when applied to Proline Knuckles softened the rubber and helped with traction.

John Binz
June 22nd, 2005, 1:30 PM
The less you have in the rear the better it will turn. How big is the track you will be runnign at?

twigstoy
June 22nd, 2005, 2:20 PM
The straits are 90' & 120' so you are carrying good speed into the corner.

assocman
June 22nd, 2005, 2:22 PM
If you apply shock spacers on the:

Right Rear-looser coming out of corner
Left rear- tighter coming out of corner
Right front- tighter going into corner
Left front- looser going into corner

twigstoy
June 22nd, 2005, 5:12 PM
Now were getting the info I am looking for. I still am confused on the diff oils.

bolognarc
June 22nd, 2005, 5:16 PM
Where are you racing at? Speedzone or Extreme?

twigstoy
June 22nd, 2005, 5:28 PM
Both

Dirtdog
June 22nd, 2005, 5:49 PM
The choice of diff oils is like anything else on here, everyone has an opition. The thicker the oil the more the diff becomes locked making it like a true four wheel drive car. In oval racing you can get away with this, in off-road it is a bad idea. In my Mugen we ran heavier oils than recommended from the factory. We were fast and the car ran good. Some of the guys we raced against used the extreme oils, and they did okay. The important things to think about are your track conditions and your driving style. Our home track is a high traction dirt oval, yours may not be the same. Experiment.

93TA
June 22nd, 2005, 6:22 PM
i ran
7000 front
100000 center
syn. grease rear(it reacts about the same as 1000 but wont leak like 1000)

this setup was for a low-med grip oval

assocman
June 23rd, 2005, 1:30 PM
sorry can't help you with diff grease

twigstoy
August 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Any one else got any info. on this topic????????

mld469
September 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Pushing going in means you aren't transferring enough weight to the front (softer front springs, thinner shock oil may help). Loose off means you aren't transferring enough to the rear. Maybe you just have the suspension too hard on both ends.

Most handling problems in turns can be analyzed by weight transfer.