DirtOval.com

Go Back   DirtOval.com Forums > Miscellaneous Forums > Off Topic
Register iTrader FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 13th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1
-==MMackey27==-

Default diRtFactor mod for rFactor (game) out at diRtFactor.net

I thought I'd drop in to let everyone know that the *FREE* public demo for the diRtFactor
dirt late model portion of the game mod is up for download at http://www.diRtFactor.net. The game requires that you have a full, licensed, and unlocked version of the rFactor game available for Windows PC's at http://www.rfactor.net and made by Image Space Inc.

The fully licensed game costs around $40 but can use any of the huge myriad of gaming mods available from rFactorCentral.com and even The Pits quite awesome TPSCC Stock Car Mod (think NASCAR) which comes from a very well respected mod group that has personal ties to Dale Jr. (i.e. Brian Ring, where the infamous "Go BR" quote came from at Talladega in the Busch series between him and Truex Jr.). I'd also personally recommend the ORR/CORR Off-road racing mods personally, as well as F179, the Aussie V8 Supercars, and the forthcoming Gasoline Alley mod looks quite impressive as well.

The full release portion of the Late models for diRtFactor will be coming in the next month or two (still *FREE*) and will include cockpit improvements including 3D modeled gauges and a digital tach, and rules packages for many of the various crate and spec motor sanctions as well as the various super late model tours using open rules packages.

There's an interim set of paint templates up in downloads along with a handful of early release tracks. There are more tracks to be had from other developers and will be a lot more coming from us soon. We expect many of the other mod developers to enhance their tracks to work better with our mod going forward, even if many of them work quite well online right now. We plan on having a much more enhanced set of skin templates available in the coming weeks for all 3 diRtFactor late models (CS, WS, and SS bodied models) for Photoshop CS+, with the eventual hopes to have the templates Photoshop 7 and PSP 7+ compatible as well. All rendering, at this time, is relegated to in-game but we're researching options for doing quick renders similar to the old Car Viewers but without having to give out properties to be used in nefarious ways.

Following the completion of the 1.0 release of the LM's our focus will shift to adding other classes. We're currently researching what it's going to take to get SOLO's DIRT mods into game as well as TSutton3g's econo mods (i.e. IMCA, UMP, WISSOTA, NCRA, NARA BoB, USRA/USMTS, DTRA, NASCAR WRS, et al.) as well. There's also eventual plans for sprint cars, midgets, and Silver Crown cars along the way as time permits.

Feel free to download and check it out. From one dirt oval fan to another... enjoy!
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #2
-==MMackey27==-

Youtube video teaser trailer of the cars in-game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPV0tGPkZfE
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #3
rdcracer

How do you download the game. I have been all over the site and cant figure out how to download
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #4
racer34v
Contributing Member

you have to register and sign in first, then yu will have a download tab on the left

Old July 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #5
TrackKat

Default More Info!!!

This looks sweet! Can we get more info on where to download and stuff?
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #6
TrackKat

http://dirtfactor.net/index.php?opti...showdown&id=35

There is the link for the LM add on
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #7
racer34v
Contributing Member

nevermind..... cant find it

Old July 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #8
TrackKat

what do u mean racer?
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #9
racer34v
Contributing Member

you posted at the same time i posted... i'm good now, thanks

Old July 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #10
TrackKat

OH MAN! I just finished d/l the indy car demo and i can only imagine the open wheel sprinters in this realism! The only thing missing would be the pain of the crash haha, I feel a week night dirtoval.com race series!!!
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #11
TrackKat

So, in order to try the late model dirt demo you have to buy the full game if i would have read the first post in full

Last edited by TrackKat; July 15th, 2007 at 2:31 PM.
Old July 16th, 2007, 4:58 AM   #12
racer34v
Contributing Member

thats a cheap price to pay for that level of realisim and all the addons you can use..!!

Old July 16th, 2007, 7:10 AM   #13
TrackKat

did u buy it racer?
Old July 17th, 2007, 1:22 PM   #14
93TA

i downloaded the latemodel demo, sunday, but haven't had a chance to install and test out yet. mackey, i've already got some other dirt latemodels installed(not sure what they are), but is there much difference?
Old July 17th, 2007, 3:30 PM   #15
racer34v
Contributing Member

yeah

its ok

i find it hard to control (no wheel hooked to the puter either, thaty may be part of it)

cool looking setup though

Old July 17th, 2007, 4:11 PM   #16
Team GFRP
Forum Sponsor

check out www.harracing.com www.msntracing.com for more info on the rfactor games.

I personally think it sucks.

Check out www.bozracing.com for Papyrus Nascar 2003 league.
Old July 17th, 2007, 4:17 PM   #17
racer34v
Contributing Member

yah.... the vid is a bit misleading

Old July 17th, 2007, 4:32 PM   #18
Team GFRP
Forum Sponsor

I thought that the graphics were a lil lacking myself.
Old July 17th, 2007, 4:54 PM   #19
ash81

Default dirt factor

hi guys ive been reading post here and all i can say is maybe you guys are expecting to much keep in mind its just a demo and usally demos suck but this is just my 2 cents ive been racin dt2 online since it has come out and theres a ton of add ons for that 'and if you dig a little into the game u can change everything and wow does that make things intresting but any i give this company credit for doing this winters are long here in wisconsin but if they can make a cool rc game im sure they will get this thing rocking ad i cant wait dtr2 is gettin old but any fellas just to let everyone know im not cuttin on any of u thanks for reading
Ash
Old July 17th, 2007, 5:50 PM   #20
Team GFRP
Forum Sponsor

It will definantly get better.... I have the full version not just the demo. In comparison to some of the other games out there this one is lacking at this point. The cars do look amazing and the tracks are cool it is just that they need to clean up the graphics and smooth out the gameplay a little.
Old July 20th, 2007, 1:31 AM   #21
rdcracer

I haven't bought it yet. I have DTR and DTR Sprint cars. How does this compare?
Anyone here racing at Ronnies Friday night?
Old July 20th, 2007, 4:10 AM   #22
-==MMackey27==-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TA View Post
i downloaded the latemodel demo, sunday, but haven't had a chance to install and test out yet. mackey, i've already got some other dirt latemodels installed(not sure what they are), but is there much difference?
Sorry guys, didn't even know you were all posting. Last I checked there wasn't many reading this and since working on s'more stuff for it... not had the opportunity to get back here on it. Usually try to make rounds between here, 4m, Thepits, Simfans, et al. but not gotten back here yet. Actually, not really made it anywhere near as much as I have our own boards to try and answer questions. That on top of the new skin templates we're working on for this... I'm pretty well drained. LoL

We're still in demo mode (a lot to work on) and a lot of the early tracks are going to be ports of Heat tracks. They're coming in at a sporadic rate until more of the old guys from Heat get up to speed which a few of 'em are learning as we speak. DWR's creator is just coming up to speed with track making for diRtFactor and considering that was his first track for rFactor and he was taught by an NR2K3 track maker... it's pretty impressive considering he'd always worked in DTR2 prior which had considerable limitations in terms of track making (all the more impressive on what he achieved in that as well). Many were waiting for a release of the game before putting their dogs in the hunt, now that the demo is out there's a lot of the old guard diving in. The deal with the tracks are that Heat ports are generally low poly and you had the whole dealings with verts which limited what you could do. Trying to undo that way of thinking is likely going to take a few people opening their eyes to other possibilities, much as the first time someone saw a working scoreboard on an rFactor track... it's now become the "in" thing to do. Eventually you're going to see a lot more stuff come out to really take it a lot further but as with any rFactor mod, there's not a ton of people working on stuff and what are... are wearing way too many hats doing everything in their free time when they can and are learning largely on the go the true limits of what can be done. I'm about as big a critic as we have on-staff and I keep hawking the virtual_lm Le Mans track as well as the Nurburgring Nordschleife circuits as the gold standards that I challenge our guys to rise up to. I'm hoping one day to see that happen.

There is room for a lot of differences though TA. I've not really tried the HAR ones but I know the guy that was helping with them on it. He also worked on the Bombers at KDSR awhile ago. I don't think he's working with HAR anymore either. The deal with some of them is that they based their feel on DTR2 from what I gather and made it very similarly to that. DTR2, for anyone in the know, had 4WD physics... much as SC and WoO did. Fun games, but not that realistic considering the gaming engine was arcade-based (Powerslide). We did ours as RWD from the outset, and tried to get more of a balance between the Heat mods which were always downright Herculean to drive due to the odd quirks they had (compromises in working with a strictly asphalt engine designed for much slower PC's than we have today, therefore more limited physics capabilities), and the DTR/DTR2 mods which were often like driving Miss Daisy with throttle control. We tried to get as real as we could, there's limitations as with anything unless you drop the coin to buy the engine from ISI and hire someone to code additions up yourself. Adjusting bar angles, J-Bars, and the like are just not something we can do without the proper hooks and the ability to add-on interfaces. All of that will take programmers and none of us on staff, with exception to maybe Jeb Friedman (Radelon), are, and he's limited in some ways without seeing the actual whole code. With racing in UMP modifieds successfully at Fairbury (former 2-time Sportsman champ), helping his dad out at Dyer's Top Rods, running his vinyl business (Friedman Graphix), his day job, and spending time with his wife and 2 kids... it's obvious we can't chain him to the computer without facing the wrath. LoL

We've had quite a bit of help from ISI but even they can only do so much with as huge as the rFactor racing community is. We're only one small entity of the whole shebang (check out http://www.rfactorcentral.com to see what I mean)... but 3,000+ downloads in and counting, not too shabby for a bunch of everyday guys putting their free time into it. We've not had many complaints either all things considered which makes me feel real good about what we've tried to do.

But yeah... the diRtFactor Demo only works with the full release of rFactor. You can get it for $40 by downloading the demo and unlocking it with a charge card *or*, you can sometimes get a deal on it on CD. I bought my copy for like $34.88 in-store at the Fry's in Downers Grove. They used to have it on Fry's website at outpost.com for $24.88 but apparently aren't carrying it anymore. Can check though as they might have just been waiting for another shipment. You can also get it on CD from Gogamer.com which has varying prices on it depending on when you check. About 2 weeks ago they had it for $27, now it's around $34. That's not counting shipping though so keep it in mind that the CD route might not always be the best deal, even if what you get on CD and what you download as a demo are the same thing and you still have to run the 1250 updater on it.

BTW this is not a company doing this, it's a bunch of hobbyist racing fans (like many of you) putting time and effort into it out of their love and passion for sim racing and dirt racing in particular. The company, Image Space Inc. makes rFactor. We, the people of DirtWizard Racing... are race fans. diRtFactor.net/slingindirt.com/dirtwizard.net much like DirtOval.com... is just a harbor for us sim racing fans. Some of us are real racers, some of us are ex-real racers who got out 'cause they can't afford it but still have the love. We love any and all input we can get but we also want to make it clear that with any game platform you're moding for, there are limitations on what can be expected. Compared to NASCAR Heat and DTR2... we're far above what we could do prior. You had 4wd cars with so much grip that you could drive in with the pedal matted and the car wouldn't spin in DTR2. With Heat... you had quirks galore and the tendency and want for the cars to flip. rFactor provides us with a lot of things neither of the others did. Until there's the opportunity to purpose-build a game with a hired staff and programmers with the same passion and drive as us for this sport, I doubt you will see anything that goes that far beyond all of this.

We're learning all of the time and trying to take what we learn and put it back into it to make it better. We contact ISI all the time to try and get things added to help us take things further, and once again... it's a Demo as was mentioned elsewhere. For as much clamor as we had to deal with asking constantly on our site, we put together a sort of preview of what is to come. There'll be a lot more evolutions of this going forward and as we find things, we'll likely update the LM's with the findings and improvements as well. The Full 1.0 version is probably a month or two away and there's going to be improved cockpits with 3D objects for that, damage model improvements, various upgrades and rules packages added, and likely other things still in the offing. That's for 1.0, and in the past the general rule of thumb in the software business was... an application seldom was truly viable before version 3.0. Quite honestly, I'm pretty proud of where we're at with the demo considering where many of us came from in the DTR2 and Heat ranks. I feel like we've jumped forward 10 years in one sweeping movement with still more legs to run on.

As far as if you're concerned about image quality from renders... keep in mind, the better the video card, the higher the settings you can run. Those videos are absolutely real and un-retouched. There's no-one on staff with the time to put into retouching them to make them look better, if they have graphics skills they're working on something somewhere. LoL I assure you that as it looks that good on my Athlon64 3400+ with 1 Gig of RAM and a BFG GeForce 6600 OC 512MB card. I've seen screengrabs on high end rigs that are downright photorealistic (2 up on 4m.net posted by DT52 that blow even my mind and I'm one of the ones' helping on this and DT52 is a racing photographer who downloaded the game and marveled at how awesome it was and shared them with us... he's not even affiliated in any way), and that's with tracks that right now are probably not anywhere near the height of what we'll see later on. Depending on your settings, depending on your hardware... it can look that good. As time goes on, more will as well.

Thanks for the interest everyone, if you have any questions... feel free to stop in over at diRtFactor.net and give a holler on our boards. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we enjoy bringing it to you.

Last edited by -==MMackey27==-; July 20th, 2007 at 4:46 AM.
Old July 20th, 2007, 4:40 AM   #23
-==MMackey27==-

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer57 View Post
check out www.harracing.com www.msntracing.com for more info on the rfactor games.

I personally think it sucks.
Those and ours are not one and the same 57. We are not affiliated, in any way, with HAR Racing and that is their mod that they worked on with Jon Fugate. The models used in it are models that we quit using prior to SLM Heat, they were made by Anthony Caudill (Anth2c) and were in UDTRA Heat version 3.0 and later on were in SAS Heat. We are completely separate and the models in the above video I posted... are our own (made by SOLOGraphix a/k/a Adam Zuidema... who made the models for SLM Heat... the diRtFactor models are different from them as well).

Quote:
Check out www.bozracing.com for Papyrus Nascar 2003 league.
I hang out with some of the guys behind that. Boswell (of BozPC) is also behind Shorttracksim.com and they're closely affiliated with the Late Model Project guys behind LMP V2 for NR2K3. I believe Todd (GT29) from Shorttracksim who made LMP v2 is working on porting and updating the asphalt Late Models into rFactor as we speak (looking forward to them very much, I love watching a good short track asphalt race as I do a good dirt one). BLD from Shorttracksim is also on-staff with us as I've been friends with him for a number of years going back to the old Dirtwizard.com and living in Iowa with 2 asphalt tracks in the entire state... he's as much of a dirt fan as I am as well. Comparing us to them though is kind of a stretch though as they build asphalt late models and we do dirt.

For as many things as we will struggle to overcome in rFactor, there's just as much to in NR2K3 especially since iRacing is out on the witch hunt with regards to anyone wanting to provide realistic physics. That's why the LMP v2 cars are really nothing more than an asphalt late model model plugged in-game with one of the default physics packages from the game (Cup, CTS, BGN) and some work to polish it up. There's quite a big difference between the 2 types of cars as an asphalt LM is much lighter with more grip and similar (if not lower) levels of power. That's something them guys are hamstrung by and something they're hoping to work past by leveraging rFactor.

I personally think TPSCC for rFactor by The Pits has taken the lead over NR2K3 from the Cup-style standpoint as well, not just because there's modern rules for the tracks themselves (i.e. the non-existant "Lucky Dog" in 2K3), but also 'cause you can run coil bind setups (don't work in 2K3) and don't have the "ice" syndrome that NR2K3 is plagued with. Considering that Dale Jr. and Truex have raced with Brian Ring and the guys over at ThePits and Ring's Talladega BR for NR2K3 is downright legendary (made so by Truex and Dale Jr.'s in-car commentaries at Talladega in a Busch race years ago that spawned the "Go BR" comment in reference to the realistic high line in Ring's track)... them cat's definitely know what they're doing.
Old July 20th, 2007, 8:59 AM   #24
Team GFRP
Forum Sponsor

I will retract all above statements until I check out your mods. I failed to realize that there were different mods.

I agree the LMP v2 are a little bit of a stretch as they are just a busch setup with a few mods.

What BR has done is excellent and I noticed that he is now focussing his attention to rFactor which will definanty prove to be good for the game.

Dale and Martin's league DMP has just released a few tracks which are unbielably racey. They now provide the three and four groove tracks with the harder tire setups.

As far as the pits and thier cup mod for rfactor that is something that a few of the guys were talking about a couple of nights ago and I'm going to look into it.
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #25
Jason Smith

I've been able to download the dirt tracks, but I cant figure out how to get dirt cars. Any help?
________
How to roll a blunt

Last edited by Jason Smith; March 10th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.